GFWC Oviedo Woman's Club
GFWC Oviedo Woman's Club Mission Statement
The GFWC Oviedo Woman's Club is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization whose mission is to enhance the quality of the lives of others through volunteer service.
One spring day in 1906, seven ladies met to form the Oviedo Magazine Club. Their purpose was to disperse good reading materials and improve their community. Meeting in their homes, they exchanged magazines, held a program and a social hour. Many projects evolved. They hired help to pen up the loose pigs, lay board and clay sidewalks, plant trees, and clean up the cemetery.
In 1914, the first Clubhouse was built, which also served as the town's first library. In 1915, they joined the Florida Federation of Women's Clubs and changed their name to The Oviedo Woman's Club.
They joined the General Federation of Women's Club in 1923. With membership increasing, the Clubhouse was no longer adequate, and it was sold. The present Clubhouse was built in 1961 on property donated by former member Mrs. R.L. Croom. In the ensuing years, the ladies were instrumental in accomplishing many goals within the community. In 2006, the Club celebrated its 100 year anniversary. In 2017, the Club attained 501(c)3 status.